Monday, April 12, 2010

New York City Police Officer Forever Blue

I am a retired NYC Police Officer. The precinct was my home away from home. My only identity was that I was a cop. I lived for the job. My career was at a high peak, I was loving every minute of it. I worked so much overtime that I easily went around the clock without thinking of my home life. For me things were great, I earned the respect like I earned my seniority. Suicides among my peers was at an all time high. It was beyond my comprehension. Then it started to hit home, cops I went to the academy with. Cops I worked with and cops I was friends with. All it took was one stupid word said, one mistake, one cruel event, just one little thing that meant nothing to you or me but everything to them. As it kept hitting home I began to see things and hear things I had not allowed myself to see or hear. Everything was going good for me. I believe we get caught up in the US vs THEM mentality that we do not realize what is happening. We can size up civilians but we don't pick up on the crys for help from another cop until its too late. I say this from experience on both sides of the line.

Do you know why cops don't ask for help?

1 comment:

  1. i am not a cop but have family members who are. cops are always in help mode, they have that superman syndrome so asking for help would be a sign of weakness. especially asking for some type of mental help...psycho cop would be a joke in their precinct. and i know nothing in the police dept is kept a secret. psych services is a joke, the cops working there that are suppose to help cops, make fun of the cops in need. they should be held accountable, it should be like lawyer-client confidentiality. so its of no suprise to me that a cop finds it easy to put their gun in their mouth and pull the trigger. sad but true.

    ReplyDelete